Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vini Vidi Vici!

I came, I saw, I conquered!

Rome was amazing. Absolutely amazing. The trip was pretty much a whirlwind, but it was still great. The race was so cool. The streets were cobblestone, narrow and extremely uneven. There were spectators everywhere, most of which were smoking. Europeans are not typically as polite as Americans, so in their Euro fashion, I was pushed more times than I can count. The B.O. was atrocious and most of the men's shorts were WAY shorter than you would desire to see (if you know what I mean!!!). But the race was so authentic! I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It was so 'Rome'. I loved every step of it and the memories I have, I will cherish for the rest of my life.

We passed some awesome landmarks, such as; the Trevi fountain, St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican City, the Spanish Steps. The race began and ended at the Coliseum. At one point, we were running down a small street. We turned a corner and this was in front of us. St. Peter's, in all of it's glory! It was a real inspiration.



At many points in the race I remembered why I was doing this. Our North Texas Chapter alone raised $235,000 for the Rome race! It was a true honor to run with our purple jerseys on, in honor of all of the people suffering from Leukemia and Lymphoma and in memory of those who have passed on. The night before at our pasta party, 3 people spoke who suffer from different forms of these diseases. All of these brave men were competing in the race the next day! I knew if they could do it, so could I. I was almost in tears a couple of times during the race when I would look to the side and see people with Team in Training posters; people suffering from the diseases that had travelled to Rome with family members who were running for them. They were our there with cowbells, signs and pom poms shouting, "GO TEAM!!!"

So all of the training; the early Saturday mornings in the freezing cold, rain and wind. Raising $8,000 for cancer research. Missing Jacob's basketball practice every week so I could go out on Tuesday nights and train. Giving up many Friday night gatherings so that I could get enough rest for the next day. Running during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Running in Hawaii. Being so sore that it was hard to move, countless times!! All of the sacrifices you make all come to a head on that day. It is a very special day and the race is a true celebration of the entire season. It is amazing and I am so proud to have done it. Here are a few pictures of our journey.

Jen and I in front of the famous Trevi fountain. Legend has it that if you throw a coin into the fountain, you are ensured a trip back to Rome. I threw 5 in; one for each member of my family!

Me signing the marathon wall. I am part of history! ;)


My training buddies and I before the race. I had to wear my TNT shirt on TOP of my jacket because it was so cold! I took it off after about 2 miles though.

St. Peters, Mile 11 (me on the left)

Piazza Navona, Mile 21 (again me on the left)

The Trevi fountain, Mile 24. (The black thing in front of my face is my ipod wire).

Me receiving my medal!

Jen and I with my mentor friends, Kim and Pam.

4 comments:

Ebbs said...

YEAH for you!!! Know you will hold those memories forever!!! I am very proud of you and your spirit!

Mama Lou said...

WOW!!! What an experience you had. I loved reading every word, but most of all, your realizing throughout the run, exactly what the cause was and why you were there. Hooray for you!

Stacie said...

two things...
CONGRATS and i want your legs!!!! you look amazing!

Jennifer said...

Welcome back! I'm so impressed by your commitment to this cause. Way to go Jess.