Thursday, January 14, 2010

Parker's "guy"

Up until today, I had never seen Parker draw a person. He tried a long time ago for me and drew a misshapen circle for the head, and then two eyes randomly on the paper (not in the head/circle) and then a mouth randomly somewhere else on the page. Parker is awesome at many things, and GREAT with holding a pencil and cutting with scissors, but he does NOT know any of his letters (well, except P!) and doesn't draw anything that makes sense.

It has bothered me, because I am a worry wart, want-to-make-sure-my-children-are-up-to-par type of mom and I have really worried that he was "behind" even in this small area of development.

When I went to pick him up at school today, all the other children were drawing pictures of people, and Parker was scribble scrabbling on a piece of paper. I asked his teacher if she'd ever seen him draw a person and she thought about it and said, "You know, I don't think I have!?"

Sooo, of course, in fashion of the worry wart, want-to-make-sure-my-children-are-up-to-par type of mom I am, I sat him down after school and asked him to draw a person. He was very reluctant and wanted me to make the paper into a paper airplane instead. I promised him that I would after he drew me a "guy". So here it is! he pointed out what all the strange looking things were so I diagrammed them for you.

Again, most 3.5 year olds have much more "mature" looking people I'm sure, but I am so proud of Parker. Go dude!

(Also out of the blue today he told me something he wanted for his birthday on "June 1st". I was so stunned that he knew/remembered his birthday. Also his teacher told me his motor skills as far as holding the crayon and the scissors were the best in the class. P Diddy in da house!)




Parker drawing, originally uploaded by jhdevenny.

3 comments:

Bebe said...

Great job Parker!!! Bebe is so proud!

Erica Schultz said...

That is pretty darn good for a 3 yo. Your kiddos are making me a worry wart about my son. ;o)

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!