Monday, January 12, 2009

Dinner review.

Well, the Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil was DELICIOUS!! I didn't tell Mike ahead of time what we were having, because I knew if I told him, he would have turned up his nose. He went back for seconds.....a bigger plate than he had the first time! He thought it was awesome.

I did make some amendments to the recipe though.

- I used whole wheat pasta (Ronzoni brand Whole Wheat Blend Linguini)
- I doubled the garlic
- Along with the S&P, I added a few shakes of Tony's seasoning
- I also only used half the lemon oil. It called for a 1/2 cup, which I thought was a lot. I didn't want to be eating an oily glob of pasta.
- The recipe tells you to reserve a cup of the pasta water, but never tells you to add it to the dish. I added about 3/4 of it instead of the oil. The only sauce in this pasta besides the small amount of lemon oil that I added is 1/4 C. lemon juice. Hot pasta soaks up liquid like crazy so I knew a scarce 1/4 C. of lemon juice wasn't going to moisten the pasta enough. Dry pasta is not appetizing! Adding the pasta water not only allows the pasta to stay moist enough to taste good and not stick together, but also allows you to save the fat and calories of all that oil so you can eat dessert! Adding 1/2 cup of white wine instead of the salty pasta water would also be delish in this recipe. (although I am a big fan of pasta water!!)

This recipe is great! Stay tuned for tomorrow. I made tomorrows dinner tonight so I can PROMISE you it is going to be good!

No comments: