Friday, April 24, 2009

Mom of the year story

Well you all know I am Mom of the year, right? (NOT!!) Well, here's my latest reason why.

Yesterday, I took Eden to the gym while the boys were in school. I had them hold off her bottle so that I could give it to her afterwards and she would fall asleep on the way home. I picked her up at about 1:00 from the childcare and went over to the cafe in the gym to get some lunch for myself. I had her formula measured out into the bottle, so all I needed to do was add water. They have a hot water canister by the coffee pot, so I filled half with hot water and then went over to the soda machine to fill the rest with cold water. I pushed the water button (which is located under one of the sodas). I filled the bottle up to the appropriate ounce but I noticed the foam was going crazy over the sides of the bottle, like lava! I glanced up at the water button, only to read that it was "SODA WATER"!!! Crap!!

I had no more formula and Eden was beyond pissed that her bottle was late. So, she got a half water, half soda water bottle!

Disclaimer: She wasn't gassy, fussy or unsatisfied with the bottle in any way.

Oh, and one more thing, on a serious note. Being a good mom is so hard. I typically like to be close to perfect at what I do. Whatever I do, I like/need to do it as well as I can and preferably better than anyone else could do it. It is the perfectionist in me, I can't help it. It's not a good quality, but it's me; love it or hate it. But being a perfect mom is impossible. Being a good mom is even hard. Most days there are many times where I have said or reacted in a way that is unnecessary. In other words, the reaction could and should have been better. Arrrgh. How frustrating it is so be semi-OK at your job! I see these moms who are so calm and collected with their kids. Their kids never screech in public, throw their lunch on the floor or look dirty. Their kids say 'Yes Ma'am' and 'no Sir' at all times. They spend a good portion of the day with their kids doing constructive things like teaching, reading, etc. It is all I can do to get mine dressed, fed and out the door. Who knew a perfectionist like me would have a job where I preformed middle of the road. I like to be the best. But I can't....it's just too hard!!

2 comments:

Mama Lou said...

You're the very BEST I know, sugah!

Ebbs said...

Who ever saud being a mom was easy??? No one who is a mom. It is by far the hardest job. We all do the best we can at the given moment. Hang in there - you are doing great!