Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eden

I am the definition of tired right now. I am just gonna blog real quick to give everyone an update and then I am headed to bed.

Last week Eden came down with a virus. She was stuffy, coughing and I could tell she was stiff so I thought she had the flu. I took her in a few times and they told me it was not the flu, just a simple virus and to keep her on Motrin to keep her comfy and that was it. By Saturday she could barely walk. I took her to the ER Sunday morning for pain in her hip and total inability to walk (we had localized it to her left hip). They did an X ray, told me everything was fine, and gave her a diagnosis of Toxic Synovitis. Sounds bad, but it wasn't. They said just give her Motrin and it should get better.

Today happened to be her 15 month check up so I took her to the Pediatrician again. He told me that they read the Xray wrong and that they *did* see something, a "spot" on the Xray and that he was "worried about it". He said she needed to see a pediatric orthopedist and needed a Cat Scan or MRI immediately. He sent me over to Children's Hospital right away. When we got there they hooked up an IV, took blood for blood work and sent her in for an additional Xray. The doctor on duty told me that she thought it was a condition called Osteomyelitis, which is an infection of the bone on the hip. She said with her elevated blood counts and the pain not getting better, this was probably what it was. It is treatable, with surgery and IV antibiotics, but that she would need an MRI to be sure. She said it is "very rare in otherwise healthy children", but of course can happen, as she thought this was what was going on.

After she came in, one of the two pediatric orthopedists that we saw today came in the room. He said the X ray was clear so he thought it was something else going on. Then the OTHER orthopedist came in and said he thought it probably wasn't an infection in her hip bone, but in the surrounding joints and/or tissue. Very confusing information! Not only did we not really know the terms they were using, but we didn't really know what that meant for Eden and we were confused at the conflicting information.

Her MRI is scheduled for tomorrow at noon and we will know more after that happens. They said they would admit us regardless because A) if it WAS indeed an infection, they would need to take her to the OR later in the day for surgery on the hip and then keep her until the infection goes away, or B) if they DIDN'T find an infection then they would still have to admit her to start the "investigative process of what the heck was going on". Kinda like House! In fact, I asked if I needed to bring Dr. House in! (which I'm sure they hear all the time and he didn't find the joke as funny as I did).

Sooo, basically it is a waiting game. Keep this little angel in your prayers, I am so worried about her! My little baby girl is too tiny to have something wrong with her! :( I will try to keep the blog updated. I will have my phone in the hospital all day tomorrow and will be texting as often as I can with updates. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers everyone...you have all been so wonderful already!!



(****edited to add.....

I cannot leave this out today. This is 'other news' BUT. Jacob received an amazing award at school today. He receieved the Principals award, which is given to one student per grade. He got it for excellence in studies, behavior, willingness to help others and just generally being an awesome student. ONE Kindergartener got it...and it was him! I could not possibly be prouder if I tried. GO JACOB!!!

10 comments:

Stacie said...

I am so sorry Jessica. My heart hurts for your family. I have picked up the phone to call you twice today but knew that you were probably flooded with calls and instead looked to Ashley for updates. We love Eden, and the rest of you, and will keep you in our prayers. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I will continue praying for your sweet baby girl!

Unknown said...

We are saying our prayers for you & your family Jessica!

Whitney said...

Jessica, I know exactly what you are going through. When Marley was in the hospital in Jan, we were soooo scared. It's not a great feeling when your baby is sick and the doctors don't know why. I will continue to pray for her, and you and your whole family. (((hugs&prayers))) if there is one thing I learned when Marley was in the hospital, it's that prayer works wonders. {{{{{hugs}}}}

Erin said...

I cannot say how sad I am for baby Eden! Thw waiting game is the worst place to be and I hope you guys have good news in the morning. Isn't it so great to have a children's hospital? I really think it makes all the difference and they should/will treat Eden like the perfect princess she is. I will be thinking about you guys all day. Hugs to you all. p.s Way to go Jacob, that is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Eden. I can't imagine how any of you are getting any sleep with all the unknowns. We love you guys and are praying for precious Eden. I'm so sorry for all that you are experiencing and will be thinking of you at MRI time. Hugs all around.

Karla said...

I'm sorry to hear about your little girl. I will pray for her and your family.

Angie said...

I so hope all is well and you find an answer w/ a solution.

She's way way too adorable for words!

Also, GO TEAM JACOB! (Your Jacob. If it were the other Jacob, I'd say, "Go team Edward," but that's for another day.)

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear that Eden isn't feeling well. I hope they figure it out soon and can treat it quickly. I'll say some prayers for her!

And, WTG Jacob!!

Anonymous said...

don't know if this will help, probably not but have to tell you for info. sake. Had a friend w/similiar situation with her 2 year old. She got sick and they treated her w/penicillin. Soon after she couldn't walk, climb, skip, etc.. and was in pain. They tested her for EVERYTHING and eventually treated her for rhumetoid arthritis. She remained in hospital for a month or more, then suddenly, 100% better. She's now 7 years old and it's never happened again and had no lasting effects. Turned out that it was an allergic reaction to penicillin. Has Eden only had motrin??? Just playing Dr. House (even though I've actually never seen the show and don't really know what I'm talking about.) Love you guys!