Thursday, August 20, 2009

Missing mom gene?

I think I am missing a crucial gene. The 'mom gene' that governs over all things 'children' and that produces tears at every step of the child's life; from getting shots, to dropping them off at pre-school for the first time and then of course the dreaded "first day of Kindergarten" and all of the emotions that come along with it. While other moms are already buying stock in Kleenex, preparing mentally for the first day of Kindergarten ("oh how sad....my baby is leaving the nest!!") and vaclempt with the nostalgia of their 'babies' and how fast time has flown.....I am excited.

What is wrong with me? Seriously...??? I do not feel an ounce of sadness or weepiness. I am ready, Jacob is ready, and I am so excited for this time in his life. I am so happy for him that I can't even imagine feeling any kind of 'loss' of my own. While other moms will most certainly be Boo-Hooing at the "Boo-Hoo Breakfast" (held in the cafeteria on the first day of school), *I* will most certainly be hopping from table to table, recognizing people I haven't seen in a while and asking who got which teacher.

Furthermore, I have a hard time imagining that I will ever feel this "sadness" to see my children reaching their milestones. As previously stated, I feel such joy for them that the pain that I might experience is completely overshadowed....buried (maybe?) so deep in me that I can't even feel it. Or else I am just missing this essential 'mom gene' altogether.

So we will see if something comes over me Monday and the 'mom gene' rears her head.....but it is doubtful. Someone assure me that I am not an unfeeling statue of a person!

5 comments:

MommaCakes said...

of course not!! but you know what makes me tear up...when my kids area recognized by others for their accomplishments (like getting an award at school - or having the teacher talk highly of them). i was thrilled when colin went off to school (i didn't even go to the boo hoo breakfast), but when his teacher gave him an award at the end of the year and made a little speech just about him...i was secretly wiping away the tears.

Mama Lou said...

What a wonderful attitude you have!At my ripe ole age, I STILL feel that empty nest Poor me! But a phone call sure helps :-))

Anonymous said...

I'm totally excited about school starting, so maybe I'm missing the gene, too. If I hear "I'm bored" once more before Monday, my head may implode.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Don't worry everyone has different feelings about it. I am one of the weepy ones, but my friend was of the excited variety.

Bebe said...

Let me assure you darlin' that you are NOT missing the Mom gene!! I think you just know that Jacob is SO ready! Can't wait to hear all about that first day!!