Monday, July 6, 2009

Money saving

Well, the economy seems to have hit us all. I know it has over here! We are trying to cut spending and it is really tough. Once you get used to doing things a certain way, habits are very hard to break. In the past, we used to eat out whenever we felt like it. Maybe it was once a week, maybe it was 4 times a week. We decided based on our moods, not our checkbook! Now we are trying to be more conscious of things and trying to change things that we really wouldn't notice.

One thing we have done this year is trying to conserve energy. Gas and Electric in Texas is CRAZY expensive. This summer we have been closing up the shutters (which I HATE btw......I love it nice and bright!) and raising the air temp by one degree. We used to keep our air on 74 and now we raised it to 75. We got our most current electric bill and it was $272.34. Compared to the June bill last year which was $434.76. What a huge savings by only changing something so small!!

Also diapers. A smallish pack of Pampers diapers (which I have always used) is about $15.99. I recently switched to Luvs brand (not a generic, just a cheaper brand) and the same size pack is $8.69. WOW!! Almost half the price and they work great. No leaks!

Please feel free to leave comments as to how you are saving. I am looking for ways to save without feeling deprived of something! This economy sucks!!

3 comments:

Ebbs said...

Inflation is hitting everyone in every way!! Lower cost cooking - I buy whats on sale, makes me a more creative cook! Also, I buy misc. things I "keep" when they are on sale. Groceries take a large portion of our money!

Mama Lou said...

I'm the "Buy One Get One Free" girl. I truly try hard to watch prices and especially sale items. I'm with Ebbs on that. I have a freezer full and a pantry full, and hopefully can keep it that way, but we never know in this economy!

MommaCakes said...

i wish we had the money to spend on shutters, because we can't "close" our windows and even keeping the air on 76...our bill is twice that! and yes, going out takes up a lot of our money too, especially babysitters (i miss having "free" -aka grandparents- babysitters).